9.01.2010

I'm Back...and "This, too, deserves its own post!"

It seems like I've been away forever.  I wish I could say that I had some grand excuse, but I just needed a break.  Two blogs, a full-time mom job, a part-time writer/marketer job, a husband, and a dog who is pushing the geriatric envelope have taken up much of my time and energy.

Thought I'd share some of the things that have been on my mind and inspiring me over the past several months:

1.  It would be easy to say that my break from blogging was a technology hiatus.  Although this wasn't a conscious decision, maybe that's truly what it was.  Coincidently, I heard this story on NPR this weekend.  It seemed to explain (or at least provide a convenient excuse) for my lack of blogging, tweeting, etc.

Digital Overload: Your Brain On Gadgets

2.  Speaking of NPR, a friend of mine from college just published his first book and it's receiving great reviews.  He just finished an interview on NPR about the book, titled Interstate 69: the Unfinished History of the Last Great American Highway. You can listen to the interview here. I'm so proud to say that I know Matt. I could write amazing stories about all of the talented people I know from my college days.

3.  I've started running.  If you know me, you know that I'm a self-professed "running hater."  I ran in Junior High because my older brother ran, and I just assumed that's what everyone did.  I have literally tried running a total of 10 times since I was 14.  So the subject of running definitely deserves its own post - which will come soon.  For now, just know that I'm been putting one foot in front of the other and running!  Feels good, too.

4. Both of my kiddos started school.  I have a brand-new Kindergartener.  This, too, deserves its own post.  I have watched a confident, polite, caring "big boy" blossom before my eyes.  Anyone who says kids shouldn't go to preschool needs to meet my kid.  Before two years of preschool, Alex was shy, unsure of himself, easily overwhelmed by sensory stimulus.  Now, he's a completely different boy.  Yes, some of it is maturation and good parenting (tee-hee), but I have repeatedly thanked his preschool teachers in the last two weeks for the safe, caring atmosphere they created for him during those key developmental years.

5.  Ben started preschool.  Same school and teachers that I was singing the praises of above.  He is loving every minute of it (which I knew he would), and it warms my heart to hear him talking about "his new friends."  Although he did tell me that he didn't want to invite any of his new girl friends over for a playdate because girls "go potty too much."  Amazing how the 3-year-old brain works.

6.  We've entered the wonderful world of karate/tae-kwon-do.  The boys were begging me to take lessons.  Ben is too little, but Alex LOVES, LOVES it.  This, too, deserves its own post.  I never thought I would want my kids taking martial arts, but the discipline and respect woven into the forms have won me over.  More on this in a later post.

7.  I've been inspired by several bucket lists recently.  In particular, this one.  I love the idea of 101 things in 1001 days.  Although, as I'm doing the math, I'll need to accomplish one of these major life things every 10 days for the next 2.75 years.  I might have to rethink the timeframe or the number of items on my list.  "This, too, deserves its own post" seems to be the theme of this entry.  So, you guessed it - I'm working on this life list.

8.  That's it for now - except to say that the other day "Dude Looks Like a Lady" by Aerosmith popped up on the iPod shuffle. You remember: "Do me, do me, do me, sue me. What a funky lady. She like it like it like it like that."  Alex (our oldest) got very quiet for a minute, looked at Kevin and said, "Mommy is definitely not that 'Funky Lady.'"  I love it!

No comments: