10.08.2009

NaNoWriMo :: Desktop Background Calendar

Many of you know that I signed up for the National Novel Writing Month a few days ago. While reading the forums over at NaNoWriMo headquarters, I discovered a great idea to stay motivated and keep track of word count.  Writers create desktop backgrounds for their computers.  This way, every time they boot up the ole' word processor, they'll be reminded of the goal for the month.  I say "word processor" because I'm discovering that most writers (most people, for that matter) have the same problems that I do.  Having the internet enabled while writing leads to lots of "research" and very little writing.  Case in point, my hour spent over at NaNoWriMo reading instead of getting the work finished that needs to be completed in order for me to take on this monstrous writing task.  At least I know I'm not alone.

Here's a link to the desktop calendar that I designed.  It is set to 1280x800 to accommodate my laptop dimensions.  It has just enough room to the left of the calendar that I can still have three rows of icons that don't block the calendar.

Feel free to download for your use if you like it. Click on the image below to open it larger in a new window.  Then right click on the image and select "Save as Background".

By the way, I'm not sure what's up with the pink.  I've never been a pink kind of gal, but recently it seems that I've been tapping into my inner (and heavily-buried) girly-girl.  New blog design - pink.  Desktop calendar - pink.  Next thing you know, I'll be buying pink to wear, and I've agreed to write a novel in a month.  What is happening to the world?

3 comments:

Laura said...

Gorgeous calendar! Will be using this for NaNo. Thanks a lot!

Sara said...

You're welcome, Laura. Thanks for visiting. Hope the calendar helps keep you motivated this month. Good luck with NaNoWriMo.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this. This is my first Nano experience, and I keep looking in the book to see if I've met my quota. Now, I don't have to!

Next, could you come up with an application that will write for me? That'd be great . . .