9.13.2009

Fiddlehead Mittens

I stumbled upon this pattern tonight, and I have fallen in love with these mittens.

The pattern is called Fiddlehead and you can purchase it on Ravelry here.  I'm still trying to figure out which wool I want to buy to make these. This picture, knitted by JaneII on Ravelry, was made from the Sunset Collection by Riihivilla.  The company is based in Finland, and it appears that everyone on Ravelry who has the Sunset Collection of colors in their stash purchased it at the open-air market in Helsinki.  No trips planned to Finland anytime soon - or maybe ever - and Riihivilla doesn't have this collection for sale online anymore.  So I'm stuck trying to match this beautiful combination of colors with other wool. FYI - the beautiful "cool" color mittens in the first photo were made by purlewe on Ravelry.

I'm also going to have to knit these on the sly because I've had this hat on the needles for my husband FOREVER. This Lusekofte Cap pattern was my first attempt at Fair Isle knitting.  I got a little sidetracked with a couple of pairs of socks and a felted tote bag, and the poor skiing hat got pushed to the back of the knitting drawer. This picture was knitted by knittinmama on Ravelry - mine isn't even close to completion!! Kevin still brings up the abandoned/hibernating ski cap now and then. I know that if I whip out a new wintery project like mittens, I'm going to be listening to a lot of snide remarks about cold ears on the ski slopes.

So I may have to suck it up and finish the Norwegian hat so that I can make the Fiddleheads in peace!

No comments: