9.24.2005

Bang Your Head

The combination roll is not a fluke. Just today, Alex has started using full triple and quadruple combinations to make his way across the living room floor. It's amazing how playtime changes when he can move himself around. It used to be he would lay on his back in one place for awhile and then want to move. Because he couldn't move on his own, he would "aack" at me until I moved him, rolled him over, stood him up, etc. Now when he gets tired of one position he can roll over and have a whole new perspective on the world and a whole new set of scenery. The only problem is that once he gets on his belly, he sometimes forgets that he knows how to get back on his back. He looks at me as if to say, "I'm stuck. Could you give a guy a hand here?"

Bailey doesn't even know what she's in for. Since she is a living, moving thing at Alex's eye level, he loves to roll after her. He doesn't grab or pet yet, unless his hand accidently brushes against her paw. But he follows her around the room. He has also discovered Bailey's rawhide chews tht she loves to leave scattered about the house. "Mmm. Mmm. Those look like they'd be good for chewing. And they taste like that dog who's always licking my feet." I think I'm going to spend the next couple of years pulling the chews out of Alex's mouth and the boy's feet out of Bailey's mouth.

The only problem with new found mobility thus far is our fireplace. We have a hearth that is made of huge chunks of granite on the floor in front of the fireplace. I am having visions of Alex cracking his head against these rocks as he rolls over to that area. I'm not really sure how one baby proofs an entire 5'x2' field of granite yet. Ah! It's only the beginning. I'm terrified and excited.

1 comment:

Ben Backpacking said...

Lovelly post